Malta Superyacht VAT Registration
Papilio Services and our specialist team assist with some of the largest superyacht and commercial ship owners in the world. We use our experience and knowledge to offer holistic and tailored services to our client’s and their specific needs. Our specialist Malta Superyacht VAT Registration team can provide tax-efficient solutions for:
- Individuals and companies looking to purchase a Superyacht.
- Individuals and companies looking to set up of commercial yachting operations based in Malta.
- Yacht-owners looking registering their vessels under the Malta flag.
Our services also include a full Malta Superyacht VAT Registration and management service for those wishing to take advantages of registering under the Malta flag.
Benefits of Registering your Vessel in Malta:
Malta enjoys an excellent reputation as an international maritime centre. Malta’s jurisdiction has become a popular choice for superyacht registration because of the several advantages including:
- Strategic location in the centre of the Mediterranean.
- Malta is part of the European Union (EU) with political, economic and social stability.
- Many unique and affordable maritime services at the yacht owners disposal.
- Attractive tax incentives introduced by the Maltese government, such as the Malta Yacht VAT scheme.
- Ships may be registered in the name of a corporate body or entity regardless of nationality, or EU citizenship.
- Low company formation, ship registration and tonnage tax costs.
- Progressive reduction in registration and tonnage tax costs for younger ships.
- Incentives may also be extended to smaller ships.
- No restrictions on the nationality of the master, officers and crew.
- No restrictions on the sale or transfer of shares of a company owning Maltese ships.
- No restrictions on the sale and mortgaging of Maltese ships.
- No trading restrictions and, preferential treatment to Maltese ships in certain ports.
- 24/7 service with urgent matters.
- Malta is an international maritime centre providing the whole range of maritime services.
- Attractive incentives to owners registered charterers and financiers of Maltese ships of over 1,000 net tonnages.
Step 1: Submit Documents
Yachts must first be registered provisionally under the Malta flag for six months. You may also be able to apply for an extension if necessary. Furthermore, Commercial Yachts, which are 15 metres or more in length, are subject to compliance with the requirements of the Commercial Yacht Code.
Step 2: Provisional Registration
Once you have submitted the necessary documents up to the satisfaction of the Authority for Transport in Malta, will issue a non-operational Provisional Certificate of Malta Registry against payment of the applicable fee. The same Authority will request inspection with a view to the issue of the relevant documentation (if required).
Step 3: Permanent Registration
Additional documentation is required after the first month and the sixth month of the provisional registration of the yacht. The permanent Certificate of Malta Registry is renewable on an annual basis from the date of initial registration.
Tax Advantage of Registering your Vessel in Malta:
The Malta Super Yacht VAT Registration Programme is an attractive and beneficial yacht tax initiative for individuals and businesses. Most importantly, we can reduce the VAT payable on your yacht from the usual standard rate of 18% currently in Malta based on your time in EU waters. This reduction is subject to satisfying the Malta Superyacht VAT Registrations Rules & Conditions.
Apart from its tax benefits, flying the Maltese flag provides many other significant benefits which luxury superyacht owners should take into consideration.
For more information regarding Maltese Superyacht VAT Registration, you can see useful links below, or you can enquire with our team directly.