MALTA’S RETIREMENT PROGRAMME
As Malta Residence specialists, we can assist you with relocating to Malta, providing you with holistic and comprehensive residency advice. Moreover, a favoured residence scheme aimed at those of retirement age who are looking to retiring abroad in Malta is the Malta Retirement Programme.
Any national of an EU Member State, EEA Member State or Switzerland (apart from Maltese nationals) are eligible to apply for the Malta Retirement Programme, through an authorised mandatory, for special tax status (and consequently qualify for the 15% flat tax rate outlined above) if he/she:
- Receives pension income in Malta, supported by documentary evidence. This pension must constitute at least 75% of the beneficiary’s chargeable income.
- Is not in an employment relationship
- Holds a “qualifying property holding.”
- Purchase a property of €275,000
- Rent a property of €9,600 per annum
- Receives stable and regular resources which are sufficient to maintain himself/herself and his/her dependents without recourse to the social assistance system in Malta
- Has a valid travel document
- EU covered health insurance
- Isn’t’ presently domiciled in Malta. The applicant cannot apply for domicile within five years from the application.
Firstly, candidates must submit their applications for the Malta Retirement Programme through the services of an authorised registered mandatory such as Papilio Services Limited. Secondly, a non-refundable application fee of €2,500 is payable to the authorities upon application. Finally, you will be granted special tax status if you meet all the conditions.