Firstly, these rules only apply to individuals not currently domiciled in Malta. Therefore, if you already have a residence in Malta, you are not eligible for this residence programme.
Secondly, your income earned is subject to tax at a flat rate of 15% provided that the income amounts to at least €45,000 per annum. The 15% tax rate applies for a consecutive period of five years for EU/EEA and Swiss nationals and four years for third-country citizens (Non-EU/EEA/Swiss nationals).
If you have met the two main points above, you must fit the below conditions to be eligible for the Qualifying Employment in Aviation and the 15% tax rate. You must:
- Derive income subject to tax under a qualifying contract of employment, and received in respect of work or duties carried out in Malta
- Be protected as an employee under Maltese law to work for under the specific competence provided to the satisfaction of the Chairman of Transport Malta
- Have professional qualifications or experience related to the eligible office
- Fully disclose and declare all income derived from a qualifying contract of employment and all income received from your employer as chargeable to tax in Malta for tax purposes.
- Proves to the satisfaction of the Transport Malta that you can perform all activities of the eligible office
- Receive stable and regular resources which are sufficient to maintain yourself and the members of his family without needing support from the social assistance system in Malta
- Have suitable accommodation in Malta and which meets the general health and safety standards in force in Malta;
- Own a valid travel document;
- Possess adequate health insurance for yourself and any members of your family
- Not be domiciled in Malta.
Importantly, income shall not be paid if it has been funded by an employer who has received benefits under business incentive laws.