For a successful application to Malta’s Global Residence Programme (GRP), several conditions must be satisfied. If applying, you must:
- Be a non-EU/EEA/Swiss national;
- Receive regular and stable income which are of a sufficient level to be able to support yourself and any dependents;
- Not be a person who is benefiting from any other Maltese residence or employment programme;
- Must hold a valid travel document;
- Hold a European Health Insurance policy for yourself and any dependents;
- Be able to communicate adequately in Maltese or English;
- Be a fit and proper person with no criminal record. Similarly, a due diligence exercise carried out by the Maltese Inland Revenue Department before the granting of the special tax status.
- Hold a qualifying property. This property could be purchased in Malta for at least €275,000 (or €220,000 if based in Gozo or the South of Malta). On the other hand, applicants can also rent a property in Malta for at least €9,600 per annum (or €8,750 if rented in Gozo or the south of Malta).
The Global Residence Program targets individuals who plan to receive dividends or capital gains in Malta. The tax residence programme is not suitable for those who intend to work in Malta from overseas.