The Malta Residence and Visa Programme (MRVP)
The Malta Residence and Visa Programme is one of Malta’s special residency programmes available to non-EU/EEA/Swiss nationals. After a successful application to the Malta Residence Visa and Visa Programme, the applicant and any beneficiaries can reside, settle and stay indefinitely in Malta. Moreover, it offers all applicants the freedom to travel freely within the Schengen region and take full advantage of Malta’s membership to the European Union.
As Malta Residency experts and accredited agents, we will guarantee that you, and your family, are provided with the best possible support and advice throughout the application process.
What are the Benefits of a Malta Residence Visa Program?
- Visa-free travel to all Schengen Areas. Schengen Areas include most European states, Switzerland, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.
- Malta’s tax structure is designed to appeal to high net worth individuals, entrepreneurs and their families.
- Stable political, social and economic environment.
- Malta has double-taxation agreements with over 70 countries.
- Malta is in a strategic location with prime international flight and sea connections.
- English speaking environment.
- Malta is home to world-renowned healthcare and educational facilities that are open to all who reside in Malta.
Malta Residence and Visa Program (MRVP) Requirements?
An application under the Malta Residence and Visa Programme must satisfy several requirements. The main applicant of the MRVP must:
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Non-EU/EEA/Swiss national;
- Carry a valid travel document;
- Be fit and proper with no criminal record;
- Hold a global health insurance policy;
- Not be persons benefitting from another Malta residence or employment programme;
- Receive stable and regular resources which are sufficient to maintain themselves and their dependents. Applicants can provide an affidavit declaring that they have an annual income above €100,000 arising outside Malta, or that they have capital of at least €500,000;
- Hold a qualifying property for a minimum period of five years. This property could be purchased in Malta for at least €320,000 (or €270,000 if based in Gozo or the South of Malta). Similarly, applicants can also rent a property in Malta for at least €12,000 per annum (or €10,000 if rented in Gozo or the south of Malta).
- Invest at least €250,000 in debt or equity securities listed on the Official List of the Malta Stock Exchange. Identity Malta will provide a list of eligible investments (e.g. Malta Government Bonds). Additionally, applicants must hold these investments for at least five years.
Spinola Bay, Saint Julians. A buzzing and vibrant part of Malta full of cafes, bars and restaurants.
Malta Residence and Visa Programme MRVP – FAQ’s
How Much Does the Malta Residence and Visa Programme MRVP Cost?
A non-refundable application fee of €5,500 is payable to Identity Malta on the application of the Malta Residence and Visa Programme (MRVP). Furthermore, a contribution of €24,500 is paid to the Government of Malta if the MRVP is approved. In addition, to add a parent/grandparent/spouse who was not on the original application, would require an additional €5,000 per applicant.
What is the Remittance Tax Rates in Malta?
If you’re a resident, but not domiciled in Malta, you’re taxed on:
(a) income and capital gains arising in Malta.
(b) any income (excluding capital gains) remitted to Malta.
Furthermore, any income occurring outside of Malta, what is not remitted to Malta, is not subject to tax in Malta.
Once you become a citizen in Malta, you pay tax at the standard rates on any income, capital gains and remitted income received in Malta.
What are the Current Tax Rates?
Individuals holding a residence permit in Malta pay tax at standard progressive income tax rates (the current maximum rate of tax is 35%). Similarly, this tax rate applies to every Maltese resident on their chargeable income.
Who can process my application for residency?
You can only submit applications for the Malta Residence and Visa Programme to Identity Malta through the services of an accredited person. As an accredited agent, Thomas Jacobsen (Managing Director of Papilio Services) can assist you and your family with any residency matters.
Papilio Services Limited – Accredited Agents
Are you are considering the Malta Residence and Visa Programme? Papilio Services can help as we are accredited agents through Identity Malta.